Roof Cleaning Jacksonville, FL
Low-Pressure Roof Cleaning Services From The Experts
First Choice Exterior Cleaning is a professional roof cleaning company in Jacksonville, FL. We only use low-pressure when cleaning roofs and will never use a pressure washer on a roof. You may hear this referred to as “Soft Washing“. This is to make sure your roof isn’t damaged during the cleaning process. Our roof cleaning service is backed with a 3-year warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you notice algae coming back within 3 years of us cleaning, call us and we’ll come back out to clean the areas at no charge!
Your roof is the first line of defense for your home and one of the most critical for protecting your home. Because of this, your roof takes a beating over the years. As time passes, your roof builds up leaves, dirt, and other unsightly algae. This is why it’s important to clean your roof. Restore your roof to new with our roof cleaning services throughout Jacksonville, FL. We provide complete roof cleanings and we won’t leave any dirt or algae behind. We have great discounted exterior cleaning packages helping you save while getting your entire home clean. We also provide roof cleaning services in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
It’s The Details That Count
The roof cleaning procedure we follow is approved and recommended by the ARMA. This is the main roofing association that sets standards and guidelines on proper roof cleaning techniques.
Before we start cleaning the roof, we take precautions and identify any vulnerable landscaping near your roof. Once we’ve accounted for all plants, we start with soaking the landscaping with water. This allows the plants to soak up H20 which helps them not absorb any roof cleaning chemicals. From there we’ll cover any delicate or vulnerable plants with a breathable tarp. These steps help ensure no landscaping gets harmed during the cleaning process. We know a great looking roof won’t matter if these extra precautions aren’t taken and your grass or landscaping gets damaged. That’s why were the right company to clean your roof!
If you decide to choose another company to clean your roof, please remember; Never let a roof cleaning company use high-powered machines on your roof. This can cause major damage and reduce the overall life of your roof. High pressure will remove most of the granular off your asphalt shingles, if not removing the shingle altogether. If you have a tile roof, it can cause the tiles to crack or loosen the mortar which holds the tile together. Not only will a pressure washer case damage but, in most cases, it will take away that roof warranty you had on it as well. We make sure the job gets done right the first time. Give us a call to get your free roof cleaning estimate!
Avoid Further Roof Damage
If left untreated, algae can cause rot and damage your roof. If that happens, you’ll have to repair or even replace your shingles earlier than expected. Avoid the headache of needing roof work by relying on our professional roof cleaning service. We remove any algae before it takes hold and causes additional damage to your shingles.
In today’s market, a lot of asphalt shingles are constructed using crush limestones. This limestone acts as a rich food source for algae to thrive on your roof. Living in Jacksonville, Florida creates a perfect environment due to the amount of rain and sun we receive. The black streaks you see on your roof is a form of this bacteria called gloeocapsa magma. This bacteria protects itself by creating its own layer of sunscreen so it can survive on your roof. Not only will the bacteria eat away at your roof, but it will cause your roof to be not as reflective. This means your roof isn’t reflecting sunlight away from the house which can actually increase your overall energy consumption.
During the estimate, we’ll access your roof and come up with a custom roof cleaning package specific for your roof. Whether you have asphalt or tile shingles, we have the experience and tools to get it looking new again. Give us a call today to schedule your free roof cleaning Jacksonville, FL estimate. We’re on a mission to get every roof in Jacksonville sparkling clean!
Our Roof Cleaning Process:
We only use low-pressure cleaning combined with safe and biodegradable chemicals for our roof cleanings. However, in some cases, these chemicals can harm your landscaping if the roof cleaning company you hire isn’t experienced. We go above and beyond to protect your landscaping by taking time to access vulnerable areas and cover plants when needed. This is the attention to detail you’ll get when you hire First Choice Exterior Cleaning for your roof cleaning service!
Our typical roof cleaning process:
- Pre-wet: All landscaping/yard with water so they do not absorb any roof cleaning chemicals
- If there are vulnerable plants underneath the roof drip line, we’ll cover those with a Tyvek house wrap. This allows the plants to breathe while staying protected from the roof cleaning chemical. Ordinary tarps will suffocate the plant if left on for an extended period of time
- Bag downspouts: If there are downspouts discharging onto concrete (not being cleaned) or near vulnerable plants we’ll bag those so the chemicals are contained
- Application: Start applying the roof cleaning solution. As we apply the solution, we’ll continue to soak surrounding landscaping with water. We work in sections so we’re able to focus our attention on that particular section of your roof and yard
- Let the roof cleaning solution sit and do its work
- Rinse: If you hire another roof cleaning company, make sure you ask if they rinse afterward or not. Not all roof cleaning companies will rinse once they apply the solution as they have other jobs to get to. This will leave dead algae on your roof until mother nature decides it’s time to rain. Living in Florida, we know it could be weeks until that happens. We take the extra time to rinse your roof to remove the dead algae and give you a better appearance. In most cases, we remove about 70-80% of the roof cleaning solution. Mother nature will come through and remove the rest
- Protect: We don’t stop at rinsing! Once the final rinse is complete, we apply a plant protection product which buffers the leaves, neutralizes the roof cleaning chemicals, and fertilizes the plants. It adds back vital nutrients at the base of the plants, helping beneficial bacteria repopulate the soil. Along with thorough rinsing with water before, during, and after the cleaning. Our Plant Wash is used as a final rinse to make absolutely sure every step has been taken to protect your landscape
If you want a clean roof done the right way, give us a call for a FREE roof cleaning estimate!
The 3 Most Common Types of Roof Algae and Bacteria
While there are over a thousand different species of algae, mold, moss, and bacteria, there are only a few species commonly found on roofs in the Jacksonville, FL area. Depending on where you’re located and how many trees you have surrounding your house will dictate the types of algae and bacteria you have on your roof. No matter what type of algae is covering your roof, we can get it removed safely using a low-pressure roof cleaning procedure. Below are the 3 most commons types of algae/bacteria we find when cleaning roofs in Jacksonville, FL.
The Most Common: Gloeocapsa magma
Gloeocapsa magma is the most common type of bacteria we find on roofs here in North Florida. You can identify this as black streaks on your roof. The bacteria form together and turn black to create their own form of sunscreen which protects them from the sun’s rays. If they aren’t cleaned for your roof, they will eat away at the limestone of your shingles and reduce the overall life of your roof.
The 2nd Most Common: Lichen
While lichen is normally found on tree bark and rocks, it can also take hold and start growing on your roof. Lichen can be identified as a leafy algae and comes in many different forms and colors. While lichen is not as common as gloeocapsa magma, it can actually cause more damage to your roof. The roof system of lichen is more established and if not cleaned from your roof, can cause leak issues depending on the severity. Lichen is typically found in areas where there is an abundance of trees surrounding the property.
The 3rd Most Common: Moss
While moss growing on roofs in more commonly found in parts of the Northwest, we get our share here in Florida. This is due to the amount of rain and humidity we receive on a yearly basis. If you live in an area covered by trees and there are portions of your roof that get little to no sunlight then you have a good environment for moss to grow. Moss typically can cause the most damage to roofs if left untouched. Moss holds in more moisture and has a high amount of roots that attach to your shingles. Because of this, we recommend you call a reputable roof cleaning company in Jacksonville, FL to remove the moss before it takes hold and causes damage.